2002 Jan 30 14:50

[vox-tech] latex question

keywords: latex, reference, list, cite

posted to vox-tech for archivial purposes

pete

----- Forwarded message from p -----

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:44:57 -0800
To: Nicole Carlson <nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu>
From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
Subject: Re: latex question

begin Nicole Carlson <nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu>
> Hi Pete
>
> May I bend your ear for a Latex question?
>
> Suppose I have a list.
> \begin{enumerate}
> \item{Ice cream}
> \item{Fuzzy kittens}
> \item{World peace}
> \item{Fluffy clouds}
> \end{enumerate}
>
> Can I later say something like: "Now let's talk more about number 3, world
> peace." with a \ref instead of a hard-coded "3"?  If so, how?

sure.  you can try something like this (note the modification to your
list.  items don't take arguments -- they're tokens, not functions.):

\begin{enumerate}
\item Ice cream
\item Fuzzy kittens
\item World peace \label{worldpeace}
\item Fluffy clouds
\end{enumerate}

As you can see by \ref{worldpeace}, I like pipe dreams.

see if this does what you need it to do.  if not, i'll think about it
some more.

pete