2002 Jan 17 16:57

Re: [vox-tech] Virtual Private Networking Suguestions.

Re: [vox-tech] Virtual Private Networking Suguestions.

The best way to do what you want to do is to set up your ssh to listen on port 23, which
normally hosts telnet. Then, you can use `ssh -p 23 your.host.com` and connect through the
open telnet port. Most Windows SSH clients also have boxes into which to type an alternate
port for an SSH connection. You can change your startup call of sshd to use its -p option so
that it listens on port 23.

Tunnelling over HTTP may also work, but may require more sophisticated tools. Telnet by its
nature should go directly to whatever its destination because the concept of telnet is that
you're typing at a remote computer and it is typing back. HTTP on the other hand, may go
through a proxy.

I find that it's also very convenient to have a web server running on my box, for the purpose
of serving up a Java-based SSH client that I can use when I go to a computer lab that doesn't
have SSH installed.