2002 Jan 17 17:19

Re: [vox-tech] Questions about building my own box -relevant

Re: [vox-tech] Questions about building my own box -relevant

Ok,

Here's the base generalization.  You want the most bang for your buck, figure a minimum of 3 years before you can afford to upgrade again.  Do not skimp on the motherboard, that often determines the feasibility of later CPU only upgrades.  ASUS makes good boards that have long life due to BIOS updates, but there are several others.  I have had good luck with AOpen, ABit, ASUS and Shuttle.

AMD seems to have the best price/performance deals right now.  If you are going to build it yourself, assess your skillset and available help, and go for it.  It is the only way you will learn how to do this.  If Linux will be on it, 'MOST' new stuff will actually work with it, those on this list can steer you around most known issues.

I buy my stuff from Fry's or online, depending on whim and where I am when I decide to buy.  www.pricewatch.com for online stuff.  In general, costs of shipping kill any savings gained from buying online, though deals are still to be had.  Buying local has the advantage of faster return.  Oh yea, don't believe anything the Fry's guys say, they range from correct to wildly wrong.

Last, it is generally more expensive to build your own.  BUT, you are generally building performance systems when you do that.  Pre-built systems make the compromises for you, but by examining their secs, you can determine if they are compromises you can live with.

Have fun,
-sp