January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 17 11:49

[vox-tech] Network Configuration

I SENT THE FOLLOWING IN MESSAGE #2, VOL 1 #69:

Hello.  I am getting started with Red Hat 7.1 for the first time, and I am
having trouble connecting to the web.  The eth0 device fails to inititalize
at startup.  The following settings appear for the eth0 device:

IP address -> entered correctly
netmask -> 255.255.255.0
network -> 169.237.204.0
broadcast -> 169.237.204.255

after startup, I activate the eth0 device and try to connect.  I get an
unknown hosts error message.  The error message suggests that I may have to
set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point tot he appropriate name
server.

Any suggestions?  Thanks very much.

SOMEONE THEN REQUESTED THE RESULTS FROM THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS IN THE
COMMAND SHELL IN ROOT:

# ifconifg
# ifconfig eth0

THE FOLLOWING IS OUTPUT FROM THE COMMAND SHELL IN ROOT:

[root@penguin /root]# ifconfig
lo	Link encap:Local Loopback
	inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
	UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
	TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

[root@penguin /root]# ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

ADDITIONAL INFO

[root@penguin /root]# cd /dev
[root@penguin /dev]# ./MAKEDEV eth0
don't know how to make device "eth0"

I HAVE TRIED TO INSTALL eth0 A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT TIMES WITHOUT LUCK.  A
BUDDY OF MINE IS VERY GOOD WITH UNIX AND HE CAN NOT FIGURE OUT WHAT THE
PROBLEM IS.  I HAD RED HAT INSTALLED AT ONE OF YOUR INSTALL-FESTS.  Thanks!

Regards - ECM