2002 Jan 13 22:01

Re: [vox-tech] Easy Remote X Termnial?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Ryan wrote:

> My little brother needs his computer, but we'd prefer not to buy him a new
> system because he doesn't need to do more then browse the web and type papers
> for now.

Wow. A family that thinks logically :)

> After thinking about this for a while I've decided I'd like to use the
> Pentium-120 that is currently my firewall as a Remote X Termnial with the
> actual processes running on another box in order to keep administration easy.
>
> So, anyone here know of a fairly simple to set up, very easy to use X
> Termnial solution? Will this sort of thing work ok on a 10Mbps netwok, or
> will I need to upgrade to 100Mbps?

Remote displaying of web pages + abiword should be just fine at 10Mbps,
however, I would think that if he only wants web browsing and text editing,
why bother?

A p-120 should be more than capable of running X at a decent enough speed
for that.

What you could do if you wanted easy administration is boot him off a floppy
distribution, or maybe even put a restricted install on a small harddrive, and
nfs mount the home directories from another server.

10mbit should also be more than fine for nfs'ing abiword files over :)

-Gabe