2002 Jan 13 20:39

RE: [vox-tech] newbie

Hi Marc,

Thank you for the nice troubleshooting guide. As some people suggested
here, today I bought a small 10basedT hub at Fry's electronic. Its LEDs
are telling me that no signal is coming from the Linux box. On the other
hand, the laptop's side is shining green and flashing when pings come
from the laptop. On the Linux system, ifconfig writes nice things about
eth0. It even lists its MAC address. I'm tempted to take the computer to
the next Installfest.

Thank you,
	Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org
[mailto:vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Marc Hasbrouck
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 7:37 PM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] newbie

Well, lets see. These are the questions I start with
when trouble shooting a LINUX/SAMBA/Windows problem.

1. Can you ping one system from the other?
2. If yes skip to 5 below.
3. Check to see if the cable is a crossover cable like
is should be. If no, get a crossover cable and go to
step 1.
4. Are the IP addresses and net masks on Windows and
Linux set correctly. I.E. Windows 192.168.1.10, Linux
192.168.1.11, both having a netmask of 255.255.255.0.
If no, correct.
5. Is the workgroup for the windows systems that same
as the one set in the /etc/smb.conf file on the Linux
system? If no, correct.
6. If yes, can the windows system see the Linux system
in Network Neighborhood? If no, we got problems that
need more specific info. If yes, is there an error
message you get when trying to open the Linux system
icon from windows on the laptop?

What this boils down to is that I need to know where
the failure is occuring. Is it hardware?,
configuratuion? lack of documentation?, something
else?

Marc