2002 Jan 13 20:42

Re: [vox-tech] newbie

Well, lets see. These are the questions I start with
when trouble shooting a LINUX/SAMBA/Windows problem.

1. Can you ping one system from the other?
2. If yes skip to 5 below.
3. Check to see if the cable is a crossover cable like
is should be. If no, get a crossover cable and go to
step 1.
4. Are the IP addresses and net masks on Windows and
Linux set correctly. I.E. Windows 192.168.1.10, Linux
192.168.1.11, both having a netmask of 255.255.255.0.
If no, correct.
5. Is the workgroup for the windows systems that same
as the one set in the /etc/smb.conf file on the Linux
system? If no, correct.
6. If yes, can the windows system see the Linux system
in Network Neighborhood? If no, we got problems that
need more specific info. If yes, is there an error
message you get when trying to open the Linux system
icon from windows on the laptop?

What this boils down to is that I need to know where
the failure is occuring. Is it hardware?,
configuratuion? lack of documentation?, something
else?

Marc