2002 Jan 12 16:02

Re: [vox-tech] dumb perl question

<snip>
> 	/(\d+).*/;
> 	$temperature = $+;

$1 holds the \d+ matching, because it has parens.
Multiple sets of parens will match $1, $2, ... based
on the left to right order of the parens.

If $temperature already had one or more digits \d+ and
some other junk, replace digits and junk with digits:

$temperature =~ s/(\d+).*/$1/;

Note, if $temperature has a newline character in the
middle somewhere, then .* will not match it.

---
Jim