January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 12 21:23

[vox-tech] dumb perl question

i know i should know this by now...

how does one get assignments out of a backreference from a regex match?

in other words, can statements like this

	`wc -l $file` =~ m/\s*(\d+) .*/g;
	$NumberOfPoints = $+;

or this:

	$temperature = $+;

be condensed into single line statements?  when i do something like:

	$temperature = /(\d+).*/;

the /(\d+).*/ produces a "1".  i imagine that simply means "yes, i was
able to match the regex".

pete