2002 Jan 12 12:21

RE: [vox-tech] Yargh! Printer not playing nice!

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Holland, Matt wrote:
>
> > I also recall that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme
> > or reason to this, but sometimes you need twice as many slashes as you think
> > you do, e.g., you may need ////CRAPPYWINBOX//STUPID_PRINTER.
>
> You need to do that if you use backslashes:
>
>    \\\\CRAPPYWINBOX\\STUPID_PRINTER
>
> That's because backslashes are escape characters,

They are escape characters from the shell's point of view.

> so to type a backslash
> you need to type it twice (once to escape, another to tell the shell it's
> the real backslash.)  Samba understands forward slashes, though, so you
> should be able to do:
>
>    //CRAPPYWINBOX/STUPIDPRINTER
>
> if you use forward slashes.

I just use single quotes to prevent the shell from mucking with the
backslashes.

> I'd try the pure text printing like Peter suggested.  If that works, then
> the communication works.  I'd then tackle the filtered printing.

Some printers don't handle straight text... everything has to be
formatted in whatever "printerspeak" is required. I don't know if this
printer is one of them.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing