2002 Jan 11 22:50

RE: [vox-tech] Yargh! Printer not playing nice!

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Holland, Matt wrote:

> I also recall that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme
> or reason to this, but sometimes you need twice as many slashes as you think
> you do, e.g., you may need ////CRAPPYWINBOX//STUPID_PRINTER.

You need to do that if you use backslashes:

   \\\\CRAPPYWINBOX\\STUPID_PRINTER

That's because backslashes are escape characters, so to type a backslash
you need to type it twice (once to escape, another to tell the shell it's
the real backslash.)  Samba understands forward slashes, though, so you
should be able to do:

   //CRAPPYWINBOX/STUPIDPRINTER

if you use forward slashes.

I'd try the pure text printing like Peter suggested.  If that works, then
the communication works.  I'd then tackle the filtered printing.

BTW, graphical printer tools often have a lot of options you can choose.
What options are there for your printer, and what options are you using?

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/