2002 Jan 09 20:21

Re: [vox-tech] mounting woes

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:52:15PM -0800, Eric Nelson wrote:
> My dead rat 6.2 partition was filling up, and I got a new 40 gig drive, so I
> decided to put part of the distro on a partition on the 40 gig, but got into
> trouble.
>
> First, I mounted the new partition:
> mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/40g
>
> then I copied /home and /usr to /mnt/40g.  The goal is to move them, but for
> now I just renamed:
> mv /home /home1
> mov /usr /usr1
>
> then I created links in /
> ln -s /mnt/40g/home home
> ln -s /mnt/40g/usr usr
>
> I fixed up fstab to mount the new partition.  It seemed like everything
> should work OK, but when I tried startx, it couldn't find things, fonts and
> such.  Is the basic theory OK, or am I making a conceptual problem?

Since you did not include exact error messages, we can only provide
approximate answers.

It sounds to me like you did not use 'cp -a' when copying, so permissions
were not set properly on the copies.

Why did you not mount /dev/hdc1 under /usr to avoid one of the symlinks?
That's the way I would do it. It ought to work either way though.

--
Henry House