2002 Jan 09 19:52

Re: [vox-tech] How do I make SSH connect anyway if a host's IP has chang

Re: [vox-tech] How do I make SSH connect anyway if a host's IP has changed?

A poster on comp.os.linux.misc suggested the following perl script which does what I wanted
and does it well. I think it's quite a bit more secure than my original attempts to just
disable SSH's host checking, because I can still verify the authenticity of each ECE machine
that isn't new.

I had always wondered why the ECS labs didn't employ this kind of strategy for keeping system
load even, but I think the research it took to get SSH to work well in this situation may at
least partly be the reason they don't.

------ begin perl script --------------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use Socket;

my(@addrs);
my($dest_name);
my($host) = "snake.ece.ucdavis.edu";

@addrs = (gethostbyname($host))[4];
$dest_name = gethostbyaddr($addrs[0], AF_INET);

exec("ssh @ARGV $dest_name");