2002 Jan 09 17:17

RE: [vox-tech] Linux distro for lightweight box

Thanks, everyone, for the tips.  I started installing Debian Potato last
night, and all seems to be going pretty well (if a bit slowly).  Didn't
realize that Debian would install with only 12 MB RAM, but it does.  I'm
beginning to see the beauty of apt-get.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Edwin P. Groot
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sent: 1/9/2002 8:16 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Linux distro for lightweight box

     Debian 2.2r2 worked OK at an installfest last year on my 486 DX2-66
with 16 MB RAM and 200 MB HDD.  During the install it even supported the
funky-old CD-ROM connected to the proprietary Mitsumi interface of a
soundblaster-16 card.  I ran X with a 2 MB VLB graphics card.  The
window
manager was .. I can't remember because I sold the machine before I left
for Germany.  It was not KDE, but sounded like fvwm.  The machine played
.au and .wav OK, but choked on MP3s > 96 kbps bitrate or 22 KHz.  I also
ran Netscape and StarOffice on my isun account via a telnet session and
exported to an X session on the 486 (forgot exactly how that trick
works).
     That's what this machine could do.  I can't guarantee this works on
12
MB, but why not try?
     FWIW Chris McKenzie (a CS grad student) knew a lot about BSD on old
machines.

    Gruess,
     Edwin

At 19:37 1/8/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a good Linux distro for an old machine (486 w/ 12
MB