2002 Jan 08 20:43

Re: [vox-tech] Linux distro for lightweight box

Re: [vox-tech] Linux distro for lightweight box

I once installed Slackware 3[.2?] on a 386 w/ 4MB RAM.  It couldn't run X,
but it ran all the console stuff just fine.  The manual says right on it
that it only needs 4MB RAM.

I think the modern dists can run well without much RAM as long as it
doesn't go graphical, including during the installation process.  Most
distributions can do text-based installation.  I say just grab a
distribution you like and try installing it and see if it works.

-Mark

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Holland, Matt wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good Linux distro for an old machine (486 w/ 12 MB
> RAM)?  I've managed to install TINY Linux, which is based on Slackware 3.5
> or so, but I think I'd like something a bit more polished.  All of the major
> distributions require at least 32 MB RAM AFAIK, so they're out.  I also
> tried OpenBSD, but had problems (it's been awhile, so I don't remember
> precisely what went wrong).
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Mark K. Kim