2002 Jan 08 17:35

Re: [vox-tech] palm questions

On Tue, 08 January 2002, William Kendrick wrote:
> > I think I recall hearing that PalmOS is open-source,
>
> I'm fairly certain this is not true. :^/
>

> > which is one of the
> > reasons why there are so many PDAs running it.  But I've never attempted to
> > mess around with it.
>
> Nope... licensing deals. :)  Handspring and IBM pay/paid Palm for
> the ability to include PalmOS on their devices.
>
> -bill!

I remember reading that they were spinning off the OS division as they were licensing it out to several HW competitors.  Not open source though.

For those who want to play, Compaq sells refurbished IPAQ Pocket PC's with full one year warrentee.
http://www.compaqfactoryoutlet.com/cwstore/templates/products/index_optaccess.asp?dept%5Fid=1005&mscssid=PTNXJHE2L5SR2MVM00GPBUNH6L9S3B94

My wife's works fine (tho not with Linux).

You could always load PocketLinux on it which now seems to be up to version 1.0
http://www.pocketlinux.org/

-sp