2002 Jan 08 14:20

Re: [vox-tech] palm questions

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:24:06PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
> i'm thinking of switching back to palm.  my current palm needs to be
> recalibrated every week; i think it's losing its marbles.  i'd like to
> replace it before it fails completely.  it has served me well for a
> very, very long time.

Visor Deluxe are about $120.  They're no longer being made, I've heard...
but the architecture is alive and well in other Handspring products...
and, it's got a springboard! :)

<snip>
> i made a gnumeric spread sheet comparing and contrasting the different
> pda.   it's ironic that the linux PDA's are the most expensive.  with
> the exception of the agenda, of course.  but frankly, i don't really
> need all the powerful hardware that comes with the linux pda's.  when it
> comes down to it, coolness != usability.

Sharp sounds like they're working on some cheaper models.
(At least, they alluded to this at the symposium, and others have
mentioned it since.)  Lower-end screens, no keyboard, etc.

More for consumers than professionals.  (Some even for teens/kids!)

All running Linux, of course.  Bwahahahah.

But... don't hold your breath.  The Zaurus isn't even out yet. ;)

> i have contacts.  i have a schedule.  being able to sync "ical" with a
> pda schedule is worth more than color, hires screen and audio capability
> put together.

Indeed.  :)  Trust me, I'd've never been able to convince myself
that I could actually _afford_ a Zaurus.  (of course, I've spent enough
to buy half of one on all of the extra toys to go with it, though <sigh!>)