2002 Jan 08 11:07

Re: [vox-tech] Public proxies in davis?

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 08:06:33PM -0800, Ryan wrote:

> hmmm, better yet, what about a slim http proxy that can be run as a normal
> user? Hopefuly with password protection.

Not sure exactly what you seek, perhaps you could elaborate?

The best general-purpose caching proxy is Squid (http://sqid-cache.org/). If
you set it up on your box and give it lots of RAM and swap space, it will
significantly speed up your web surfing by caching requests. Since it runs
behind your link, it is limited by your bandwith and cannot compress the
pages. Normally squid is run under its own uid for all users on the local
subnet to use, though it supports an elaborate access control system.

I have a fast Squid cache running in my office. It should be very close to
you (try a traceroute to romana.hajhouse.org). You may have access to it if
you like.

--
Henry House