2002 Jan 08 02:22

Re: [vox-tech] Oh my God! What have I done to my poor Linux box?!!?

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> If my MBR is screwed up, how is it that I'm still able to load Win2K on
> this machine?  And how would the MBR get messed up if I unchecked all
> possibilities for loading LILO or GRUB when I ran the upgrade process?

So Windows runs fine when you boot your system without the Linux boot
disk, right?  And when you put the boot disk in, you get the boot error,
right?

Did you remake the boot disk when you upgraded RedHat?  You were supposed
to.

> Would running "linux rescue" from the command prompt when booting with the
> installation CD-ROM in the machine be essentially the same as running a
> rescue disk?

Yep:

   1. Run `linux rescue` from the CD.  You should get to the shell prompt.
   2. Mount the hard drive's root.  Assuming it's /dev/hda2, and it's
      ext2, type:

         mkdir /mnt/hdroot
         mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt/hdroot

   3. Chroot to that directory:

         chroot /mnt/hdroot

   4. Run mkbootdisk with proper arguments.  I haven't run mkbootdisk
      manually before, but from the manpage I guess it's something like:

         mkbootdisk /boot/<kernel_filename>

      There are some other options you can pass to mkbootdisk depending
      on the situation.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim