2002 Jan 07 22:50

Re: [vox-tech] Oh my God! What have I done to my poor Linux box?!!?

Re: [vox-tech] Oh my God! What have I done to my poor Linux box?!!?

I'm still a friggin' newbie, unfortunately.

If my MBR is screwed up, how is it that I'm still able to load Win2K on
this machine?  And how would the MBR get messed up if I unchecked all
possibilities for loading LILO or GRUB when I ran the upgrade process?

Would running "linux rescue" from the command prompt when booting with the
installation CD-ROM in the machine be essentially the same as running a
rescue disk?

At 09:06 PM 1/7/2002, you wrote:
>sounds like a bios error.  prolly your mbr is screwed up.
>
>0. use a rescue disk.  preferably something that will boot the
>   filesystem already on your hard drive.  but if you can't do that, a
>   rescue disk which *mounts* the hard drive's root filesystem is fine
>   too.  a debian rescue disk is of the first variety.  a linuxcare or
>   lnx-bbc rescue disk is of the 2nd variety.
>
>1. run lilo.  if you used a rescue of the first variety, no worries.
>   if you used a rescue disk of the 2nd variety, you need to pass lilo
>   the -r option to point to where "/" should be taken as.
>
>2. reboot.
>
>pete

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K   ICQ: 11646404  Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@hotmail.com

invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"