2002 Jan 02 08:02

Re: [vox-tech] advice for floppy disks

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> my application is a linux firewall.  the operating
> system (or in this case, a piece of it) fits on a floppy.  you pop the
> floppy in, turn the firewall machine on and walk away.  so you see,
> i'm using the floppy as a *boot device*.  not for backup.

That's odd.  Floppies have never failed on me.  Maybe the disk drive is
dirty inside?

Alternatively, you can make a CD boot image off of the floppy.  CDs use
floppy images to boot, so it should be pretty straight forward to make
bootable CDs out of floppies.  CDs are more reliable than floppies, I
think...

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim