[vox-tech] cd burning in mode 2

Hey all,

Does anyone know much of anything about burning cds in mode 2?
Specifically, I'm interested in whether I can burn a filesystem in excess of
702 MB on a 700 MB disc.  The following does not seem to work:

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -mode2 big_img.iso

This results in the error:

Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:   0 of 717 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi
sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 6.270s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 0 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 06 00 00 00 00 13 00 00 00 00 29 00 00 00 00 00
Writing  time:   18.283s
Fixating...
Fixating time:    0.013s
cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

If I record in mode 1 with "-data small_img.iso", all is well.  Is mode 2
only used for writing raw data?  Is this purely software level, or may the
hardware have something to do with it?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt