Re: [vox-tech] System hangs !

begin: Viswanath P <viswap@yahoo.com> quote

> Hi,
>
>      I am using RH 7.1 / 2.4.2-2 Kernel using Yamaha
> YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio Controller PCI card using
> interrupt 10.  When I play the VCD using Xine version
> 0.9.1 it plays the movie for a while and after that it
> hangs and I have to reset it.

> I tried shifting the
> card to a different slot.  It did'nt help.

here's some info:

a system resource is defined by IRQ, DMA and I/O addr.  as far as i can tell,
there are a few places you can get information about system resources.

1. in bios.  some companies (like compaq) tend to eliminate your ability to
   poke around for info in the bios.  hopefully your bios isn't crippled.

2. right after the ESCD verify/update.   this happens right after posting,
   but before lilo comes up.  "modern" versions of lilo hide this information
   by clearing the screen before you get a chance to read it.  just a few
	night ago, jeff newmiller was helping me with my own IRQ problems, and
	i ended up having to take pictures with my digital camera of the screen.
	that's why i recently asked that question about lilo.  (again, eric --
	thank you!!!)

3. in /proc/interrupts.   here's my file for example:

       satan# cat /proc/interrupts
              CPU0       CPU1
              0:    8498668          0          XT-PIC  timer
              1:      49189          0          XT-PIC  keyboard
              2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
              5:     505422          0          XT-PIC  soundblaster
              8:          2          0          XT-PIC  rtc
              11:    3567386         0          XT-PIC  eth0
              12:     507948         0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
              14:     222338         0          XT-PIC  ide0
              15:      50169         0          XT-PIC  ide1

4. in /proc/pci.  this is where lspci takes its info from.  unfortunately,
   lspci reports irq's in hex.   oh well.   most people can make do with
	their fingers for hex numbers 0x0F and less.   :-)

	satan# lspci -b
	00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge (rev 03)
	00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge (rev 03)
	00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
	00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
	00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
	00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
	00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
	00:13.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Triones Technologies, Inc. HPT366
	00:13.1 Unknown mass storage controller: Triones Technologies, Inc. HPT366
	01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 4/Voodoo 5

/proc/interrupts is more of a driver-registered view of interrupts.
/proc/pci is a more bus-centric view of interrupts.  it's probably a
deficiency of linux that we don't have a unified view.

where am i going with all this?

you mentioned that the audio controller has irq 10.  and then you stated that
you shifted the pci card to another slot.   so you must suspect that there's
an irq difficulty here.  i just gave you a pretty complete way to diagnose
this.

when you swapped the slot that the pci card was in, did you try more than one
pci slot?

>      Below I have shown the /var/log/messages when
> it had happened.  Could not understand much...
> Can anyone help me out!!

unfortunately, there wasn't much there that looks like the culprit to the
problem.  not anything that would hang a system, anyhow.

whew.

pete