[vox-tech] microsoft zen: the dual nature of XP

[vox-tech] microsoft zen: the dual nature of XP

first the good news...

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/planning/security/whatsnew/default.asp

  Windows XP provides the most dependable version of Windows ever-with the
  best security and privacy features Windows has ever provided.

now for the bad news...

www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/12/20/microsoft.hackers.ap/index.html

  Microsoft's newest version of Windows, billed as the most secure ever,
  contains several serious flaws that allow hackers to steal or destroy a
  victim's data files across the Internet or implant rogue computer software.

  A Microsoft official acknowledged that the risk to consumers was
  unprecedented because the glitches allow hackers to seize control of all
  Windows XP operating system software without requiring a computer user to
  do anything except connect to the Internet.

then the good news:

  "This is the most secure version of Windows we have ever released,"
                -- Scott Culp, Microsoft Security Response Center manager

and then for the bad:

  Hackers could attack individual computers directly, though the flaws also
  allow hackers to transmit an attack to a single Internet address and strike
  all the nearby Windows XP computers within a corporation or neighborhood.

doors open, boys.   ;)

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org