January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] backspace keycode in C: xterm vs console

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 02:43:12AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> /* #define BACKSPACE   127 */
> #define BACKSPACE   8
>
> is there any way to deal with this other than making the backspace
> keycode into a global variable (or worse, passing its value to every
> function that needs it)?

man termios - you can familiarize yourself with the main concepts using
the 'stty' shell command

You'll need to do a get tcgetattr(), and check the value of the VERASE
option in c_cc element (termios_p.c_cc[VERASE]).  That is the tty's erase
character.

You can also mess with X, and make it send a ctrl-H, but that can break
alot of other things (see xmodmap, and the many "how do I make X send
ctrl-h" questions answered online).

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/