Re: Debian packaging (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE recomendations)

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:50:49PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> I would like to see that, particularly if it was presented in
> stages.  Like, I want to build a "hello world" .deb and what is
> involved?  What happens when I decide to use ncurses to print my
> message?  What happens if I want to package someone elses program that has
> lots of #define configuration macros?  What happens when the version of
> ncurses increments?  What happens when my own program version increments?

This would be good, but I'd fear we'd leave many newbies and other less
geeky regulars bored stiff... maybe we spend the last 30 minutes on this
and people can leave early?

My original idea was to do an intro to .deb for the kernel compiling
person, which I'd assume would have a wider appeal.

Also, there is a hello package (and hello-debhelper) that goes through
building your first deb.  Might be a good basis for such a talk centered
on C and .deb.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/