[vox-tech] dosemu XMS (?) problem

Here's another question along the same lines
When trying to start a program under dosemu and dos 6.22 I get :
"EMM manager does not map enough pages for swapping."
Any ideas why?  I've got device=C:\dosemu\ems.sys in my config.sys
under dos and my dosemu.conf (where I have tried a lot of different
setups) looks like:

(relevant lines)

$_xms = (40960)         # in Kbyte
$_ems = (45056)         # in Kbyte
$_ems_frame = (0xe000)
$_dpmi = (0x2000)               # in Kbyte
$_dosmem = (640)        # in Kbyte, < 640
$_hardware_ram = ""     # list of segment values/ranges such as
                         # "0xc8000 range 0xcc000,0xcffff"

memmaker.exe doesn't help any from the dos side because it requires
MS's EMM386.EXE.
Thanks,
Nick