Re: [vox-tech] LPRng ?

begin Ajay <lugod@os2man.cjb.net>
> Hola guys,

hola.

> :1. have you started the spooler daemon using verbose logging?  that would be
> :   the first step.  by default, it's not turned on.
>
> 	No, I haven't.  I did try either lpr or lp with verbosity, and I
> wasn't sure what to do with that, it printed a LOT of info.  I'd assume the
> server (lpd) would do the same?  But I'll check that out.

ok.  but that should be the starting point.   :)

> :2. have you looked at logs for both client and server?
>
> I can find no logs on the server, even though I see the lf= on the server's
> printcap file.

 there *has* to be logs on the server.  on debian, it should go under
 /var/log/daemons.

a thought -- is your spooler daemon tcpd wrapped?  look at /etc/hosts.deny.
most people say ALL: ALL, in which case you MUST open lpd up in
/etc/hosts.allow since hosts.allow is checked first.   if the daemon "just
runs" instead of being called by inetd, then:

1. kill the daemon
2. go to a **virtual console**.  this is important.  messages don't usually
   get sent to non-login shells.
3. run the spooler daemon with whatever verbose switches there are.
4. try to run the job on the client machine.  see what happens.

this has the benefit that we just short-circuited syslogd.  messages should
go straight to the console.  better yet, tack on a 2>printer.log at the end
of the command.

don't forget to rerun inetd startup script if you change the wrapper files.
don't forget to rerun lpd startup script if you change lpd config files.
they prolly read the files on the fly, but ya never know...

if lpd isn't reporting to any log files, that is just phracked up, majorly.
look at /etc/syslogd.conf to see where lpd logs should be going.

> And incase it wasn't clear from the previous message, logging into the
> server and printing a file works fine,

naturally.

> reason doesn't want to allow clients to connect/print/whatever.  Any other
> thoughts appreciated, otherwise I'll try the Debugging/Verb output when I
> get a chance a little later.

it all hinges on what the logs say.  people like to say "use the source" is
the watchphrase of the open source movement.  bullwacky.  "use the logs" and
"use the deja" are more like it!

> :               ** Please don't send me html email **
>
>I found a site that has procmail rules to auto bounce that, if interested..  ;)

nah.  already written.  :-)   i've been reading a book on .procmail that i
got at nerdbooks.  it gets high recommendations; i'm thinking the club should
have a copy for loans.  it's that good.

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org