[vox-tech] RH 7.2 "rescue" mode

I have a dual-boot Win98SE/RH7.1 Athlon box with a recently "infected" and
"cleaned" MBR (BOOT.c virus) that I have to restore in order to use grub
again.  Does anyone know why I can boot into "rescue" mode with my RH 7.1
install CD and it finds my system partitions just fine (and mounts my
damaged file system at /mnt/sysimage), but using my new RH 7.2 CD in
"rescue" mode can't find any partitions.  If I run fdisk from the 7.2 CD,
the partitions are all there, but the automatic 'search and mount'
procedure just says there are no Linux partitions on my machine.  This is
the same message I get if I try to upgrade my 7.1 system to 7.2 using the
7.2 CDs.  I got the BOOT.c virus on my machine from an old floppy until
PC-cillin caught it and wiped my MBR.  I'm just trying to either 1)
reconstruct the old MBR (I didn't make a boot floppy - I am shamed), or 2)
upgrade to 7.2 and reinstall grub in the MBR as part of the process.  Can
anyone give me some hints?

Jonathan