[vox-tech] PC card NIC problems.

I have a problem with the driver for my 3C589D-TP PC Card NIC
If the dongle gets removed I get a message

"null kernel: eth0: lost link beat"

then

"null kernel: eth0: flipped to 10Base2"

and i have to remove the NIC and put it back in for the dongle to be found
again. (this just makes cardmgr reload the driver.)

I suspect this is because I am using a (obviously non-perfect) clone dongle.
Any way I can tell the driver that the dongle doesn't do 10Base2?

I'm running the stock 2.4.3 kernel from Mandrake 8.0