Re: [vox-tech] a funny thing...

This may explain the fish--apparently she is named "Wanda!"

On 25 May 2001 15:25:44 -0700, George wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 06:50:54PM -0500, Steve Fox wrote:
> > Twice now since I've been using GNOME 1.4 I've had Wanda the Fish go
> > floating across my desktop for no apparent reason. She goes across all
> > workspaces, and no extra process shows up in 'ps' either. Therefore, I'm
> > thinking that this is an easter egg in the panel or something.
>
> Tsk tsk tsk, how come people always first think of the panel when there are
> easter eggs.
>
> > Anyone care to fill me in how in the world Wanda gets triggered?
>
> Perhaps it doesn't ...

Aha! I think I have found it!

static gboolean
check_screen_timeout (gpointer data)
{
    if (((rand () >> 3) % 4000) == 666) {
        check_screen ();
    }
    return TRUE;
}

and check_screen is indeed an "incredibly evil function" ;)

Am I right? (I'm just starting to hack on GNOME stuff, so sorry if I'm
giddy :)

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.org

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2001-June/msg00172.html

it's a hidden secret placed by the application's programmer.