Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:43:24 -0800 (PST)
From: George Dancheff <linlists@yahoo.com>
Subject: Rebuilding Debian from source
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Reading that discussion
http://www.debianplanet.org/debianplanet/article.php?sid=521
I've assembled a really simple script trying to
implement the apt-get -b source-upgrade function
(since apt has not such feature, but I don't think
this is a lack of functionality, but anyway). I'm not
sure if they will wedge something like that in the
future versions of APT.
It has not been  tested at all, just in case if
someone is interested in.

#!/bin/bash
# store sources in some temporary dir
SRCDIR=SOURCES

if [ -d $SRCDIR ]; then
     cd $SRCDIR
     # clean it ?
     rm -rf *
else
  mkdir $SRCDIR
     cd $SRCDIR
fi

# let's see what's new in the archive,
# make sure you have deb-src lines in sources.list
apt-get update

# get local selections
dpkg --get-selections | grep -w 'install' | \
awk '{print $1}' > ../selections.tmp
# fetch them 1 by 1 from the archive and build
for I in `cat ../selections.tmp`; do

# we need to prepare Build-Depends (from control file)

# to satisfy the compile conditions
apt-get build-deb $I;
# now it's safe to build the package in question
apt-get -b source $I;

# MAKE SURE NOT TO SPAM HDD !!!
# clean sources after each build ???
rm -rf *
done

Please don't complain to me if encounter bugs, I don't
care if all your data go to /dev/null , use it at your
own risk :) . And of cource it would be nice if
someone spend some time to enhanced it :)))