Re: [vox-tech] CD disappeared!

I apologize for the 2nd posting of this.  When I went to respond back to
the list, I forgot the "-tech".  (There's still a problem with the mailing
lists :( )

-bill!

-----------------

Harry wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 06:07:24PM -0800, William Kendrick wrote:
> >   $ eject
> >   eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'
>
> That is weird.
> Maybe reboot and see if the boot-up logs show that the kernel is
> detecting the CD-rom (and if the BIOS is detecting it too).

Melissa rebooted recently  (didn't need to; sawfish had borked out on her).

Checking 'dmesg', I see:

  Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=newlinux ro root=301
    BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10 hdc=ide-scsi
  ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
  PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
      ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1000-0x1007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
      ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1008-0x100f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
  hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL ST2.1A, ATA DISK drive
  hdc: CR-2801TE, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

followed later by over a hundred of these!

  hdc: driver not present

Huh!

> Do you know when the mailing list will be fixed?
>
> When I try to reply it inserts an incorrect e-mail address.

No ETA.  Considering moving it to a different host. :^/
(I can't speak very officially regarding this, though... talk to root :) )

-bill!

----- End forwarded message -----