Re: [vox-tech] What is the command line for user manager?

Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> writes:
> begin: Ehrhart, Jay <ehrhart@ycoe.org> quote
> > I have an Intergate box running BSD Unix.  I want to administer the user
> > accounts.  What is the command to let me see the user accounts
>
> vi /etc/passwd    :)

That will work, but it should not be used to change entries.  Use vipw
to change the password file.  Since he only wants to see the list of
users, `view` or `less /etc/password` fits better.  Here's the FreeBSD
man page on vipw:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vipw&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.4-stable&format=html

Why use vipw? vi does not lock the password file, and other superusers
may edit and corrupt your password file concurrently.  If it's just you,
there's no worry, but it's a good habit to be in if you ever do admin
work with others.

-Ricardo