Re: [vox-tech] umask

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 03:12:23PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
>
> > I tried putting "umask 002" under this and nothing happened.  So I guess I
> > don't know what I'm doing.  What do I put?  What exactly is "the call"?
>
> Make sure you're using BASH.  Sometimes BASH won't execute ~/.bashrc, but
> if it's properly setup, then it should -- try putting in some echo
> commands to see if it's executing bashrc.  Sometimes the global bashrc
> will overwrite some parts of your local bashrc, so check the order of
> execution in both the global and the local bashrc.
>
> -Mark

Good point.  ~/.bashrc is only activated for non-login sessions (i.e.,
xterms, subshells), but is not activated for login session shells
(e.g., at the *real* console), in which case .bash_profile is loaded
(which isn't for the non-logins).  My solution has always been to
simply source ~/.bashrc from ~/.bash_profile - if you don't do this,
you'll need to add your umask to both files.

And, of course, if you're not using BASH, don't put it in ~/.bashrc at
all ;)

Micah