[vox-tech] cvs questions

now that i'm pretty active on the gphoto developer mailing list, i'd like to
know some basic cvs stuff:

1. when you go into a cvs directory and issue a 'cvs update', how does
	cvs "know" where to pull data from?   is the remote cvs server info stored
	in some file in the local cvs directory?  or do i need to reset CVSROOT
   every time i want to update my copy of a particular cvs?

2. in the lines:

      cvs server: Updating camlibs/agfa-cl18
      cvs server: Updating camlibs/barbie
      cvs server: Updating camlibs/canon
      P camlibs/canon/canon.c
      P camlibs/canon/psa50.c
      cvs server: Updating camlibs/canon/ps350
      U libgphoto2/libgphoto2.pc.in
      cvs server: warning: libgphoto2/libgphoto-2.0.pc.in is not (any longer)
          pertinent

    what do the P and U prefixes mean?  should "non-pertinant" files be
        deleted by hand?

3. after issuing 'cvs update' for a cvs that uses autoconf, is it necessary
   (or is it good practise) to remake the make files by running configure
   again?

thanks,
pete