Re: [vox-tech] shows "Kernal Panic"

begin: shahzad <shahzad@shebaak.com> quote

> > Hi,
> >
> > I got problem with my linux box running Red Hat 7.1
> > Whenever I restart this server it shows "Kernal Panic" and stops during
> > the boot up.
> > I am able to bootup the server using linux rescue mode through linux
> > installation CD and can browse the data files which are still intact.
> >
> > Now I need to know,
> >
> > 1) Is there a way to recover the data from the server ?

absolutely yes.  in many, many ways.

one way would be to simply take the hard drive out of the computer and put it
into another computer with a working operating system.   mount the partition
with the data, and viola.   copy over the data.

another way would be to upgrade the system.

> > 2) Can I upgrade the operating system without losing the data stored on
> > the server? Whenever I try to upgrade the server it displays message the
> > "filesytem not properly unmounted" and stops the installation upgrade
> > process.

ok, what you prolly need to do (i'm strictly a debian guy, but i think this
is right).   get a rescue disk.  the debian install disks are perfect for
this.   get a prompt and run fsck -y on all the partitions on each hard drive
of the damaged computer.

THEN try to upgrade redhat.  you should be AOK.

don't forget about lert.

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002