Re: [vox-tech] shows "Kernal Panic"

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 05:56:36AM -0800, shahzad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got problem with my linux box running Red Hat 7.1
> Whenever I restart this server it shows "Kernal Panic" and stops during
> the boot up.

What other message does the console show? There will be something else
besides just 'kernel panic'. Probably the rest is 'no init found', which
means that the kernel cannot find the executable to which it passed control
after boot-up.

> I am able to bootup the server using linux rescue mode through linux
> installation CD and can browse the data files which are still intact.
>
> Now I need to know,
>
> 1) Is there a way to recover the data from the server ?

Yes. You said yourself the data are intact and may be seen when booting from
the rescue disk.

> 2) Can I upgrade the operating system without losing the data stored on
> the server? Whenever I try to upgrade the server it displays message the
> "filesytem not properly unmounted" and stops the installation upgrade
> process.

First, boot from the rescue disk and make a backup of you data if you do not
have one already. The highly inadequate Red Hat rescue disk may by replaced
by tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/) or Linux BBC (http://www.lnx-bbc.org/).

Next you need to run fsck (file system check) on the damaged filesystem. DO
NOT DO THIS WHEN THE FILESYSTEM IS MOUNTED READ-WRITE!  It is okay to run
fsck on a read-only filesystem. Be sure to unmount the filesystem before you
reboot, then run the installer as you previously attempted.

--
Henry House