Re: [vox-tech] the mailing list needs your help

Re: [vox-tech] the mailing list needs your help

>From the header of this mail, I guess the server is using sendmail 8.9.3,
then I think the solution is to add lugod.org to local relay table and
local domain names. I'm using seperate files for this purpose:
  /etc/mail/relay-domains for relay
  /etc/mail/local-host-names for local host/domain names

If the list server also has the configuration as mine, we only need to
add lugod.org to relay-domains and lists.lugod.org, lugod.org to
local-host-names.

But I guess the sendmail.cf of the list server may not use seperated
configuration file. So it's a little big complicated since we have to
modify sendmail.cf directly.

To add lugod.org to local host names, go to look for the Cw macro, and
add lugod.org, lists.lugod.org after the local host, seperated by space.
However, I'm not very sure about this.

Hope it's helpful.

Jimmy

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i think everyone here knows the trouble that the mailing lists are having.
>
> here's the deal.  you can post successfully to:
>    vox@franz.mother.com
>    vox-tech@franz.mother.com
>
> but posting to vox@lists.lugod.org (which was prefered) bounces:
>
>    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).
>
>    A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>
>      vox@lists.lugod.org
>        SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<vox@lists.lugod.org>:
>        host franz.mother.com [207.215.64.110]: 550 <vox@lists.lugod.org>...
>            Relaying denied
>

> and posting to vox@lugod.org (not prefered, but still worked) bounces too:
>
>    The original message was received at Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:53:51 -0800
>    from adsl-64-164-47-8.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net [64.164.47.8]
>
>       ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>    <vox@lugod.org>
>
>       ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>    ... while talking to franz.mother.com.:
>    >>> RCPT To:<vox@lists.lugod.org>
>    <<< 550 <vox@lists.lugod.org>... Relaying denied
>    550 <vox@lugod.org>... User unknown
>
> i know enough about exim to "get by", but i'm no expert.  and i really know
> nothing about majordomo.  but i know that some people here do.
>
> we've been having trouble with the list for about a week now, and things need
> to get back to normal.
>
> i'd like to open up discussion.  can anyone here give suggestions on what the
> admins at mother.com can try to get our mailing lists back to normal?  the
> goal is to be able to post to vox@lists.lugod.org (and the less prefered
> vox@lugod.org).   not vox@franz.mother.com.
>
> any help would be extremely appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> pete
>
> --
> "You may not use the Software in connection with any site that disparages
> Microsoft, MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products or services ..."
>                     -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002

Jingmin (Jimmy) Zhou             Mail : jimmy@mtc.dhs.org
Web : www.mtc.dhs.org             ICQ : 19587415

The future is not set.  There is no fate but what we make
for ourselves.             - Terminator II, Judgement Day