Re: [vox-tech] RH 7.2 "rescue" mode

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, jonathan neufeld wrote:

[a lot of stuff]

Okay, so you can access the partitions from RedHat 7.1 rescue CD, right?
Do this:

   1. Boot RedHat 7.1 rescue CD.

   2. Mount the root of your Linux partition somewhere.  For example,
      type `mkdir /mnt/linuxroot; mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/linuxroot`

   3. Chroot to the mounted root partition.  For example, type
      `chroot /mnt/linuxroot`

   4. Install Grub on the MBR.  I don't use Grub, but you probably just
      type `grub`.

   5. Reboot and cross your fingers.

BTW, because of reasons like this I ALWAYS HIGHLY recommend installing
the boot loader on the partition boot rather than MBR, and setting the
active partition to the one with the boot loader.  (Repeating the same
thing for like the half dozon times just on this list...)

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/