Re: [vox-tech] linux compiler problem

I have Mandrake 8.1.  I installed it on a clean HD.  I got gcc, so the
files are definitely on the CD.  What probably happened is you either:

   1. Didn't ask for the development packages.
   2. You got a bad burn of the CD.
   3. You ran out of HD space during the install.
   4. You didn't have all 3 CDs and gcc was on the CD you didn't have.
      (Although it should be important enough to be on the install CD.)
   5. Selected one of the default installs (ie - "recommended"), and the
      default install had a bug that didn't install gcc.  Actually, the
      install is based on your HD size and package rankings (I think),
      so the problem in this case was probably that you didn't have enough
      HD space.
   6. so on a so forth... the list goes on...

What to do now:

   1. Check your partition sizes.  If you have enough space in the /usr
      partition, proceed to step #2.  If not, get a new HD, and move
      the /usr partition over, remount the new partition, and proceed to
      step #2.
   2. Uninstall the gcc RPM you installed previously.
   3. Install the gcc and its related files packages off of the CD.

Standard disclaimer applies.  Ask if you don't know what that means.  BTW,
who installed the system?

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim