Re: [vox-tech] xterm question

bash doesn't allow arguments in aliases; the man page advises to use
functions.  problem.

cd()
{
	cd $1
	xttitle `pwd`
}

this is actually an infinite loop.   i'd much prefer to use "cd" rather than
a homebrewed function to change directories

begin: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> quote
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:03:56AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i've seen people with xterms that have $PWD as the xterm title.
> >
> > anyone know how to do this?
>
> In TCSH on my box here at home, I have this:
>
>   switch ( $term )
>     case xterm:
>       alias cd 'chdir \!*;xttitle $cwd'
>       breaksw
>     default:
>       breaksw
>   endsw
>

> So in other words, when I run the command "cd", it not only cd's (chdir),
> but it also sets the xterm's title (using a small program I found called
> "xttitle") to the directory we ended up in.
>
> (I also run "xttitle" on its own sometimes, when I've got lots and lots
> of Xterms open, and am vi'ing certain files or runnother other processes,
> because "Gnome Terminal" or "/some/particular/path", aren't very meaningful
> in my taskbar. :)  I usually set up an alias to "xttitle" called ",", so
> I can type it really quickly:  ", makefile"  or  ", mysql-production")
>

> xttitle can be found here:
>
>   http://www.jarvis.com/xttitle/
>

> Seems you can also do this even more easily using an "echo" :)
>

>   xtitle() { echo "ESC]0;$*^G" }  # title an xterm
>
> (where "ESC" and "^G" are literally those characters)
> (this is from Sonic.net's /etc/bashrc, btw)
>

> Anyway, enjoy!  Gotta run!
>
> -bill!

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002