[vox-tech] Upgrading perl on debian

Howdy,

How do I upgrade perl on deb?  The current stable (at least i think) is
5.005.  and it is installed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.005.  Now when I've
installed perl from source I've always done it into /usr/local/perl.  Now I
know that where I install it is
my decision.  So I have 2 questions:

1) Do I have to go into unstable packages to get a more recent version of
perl
2) Can I install (from source) into/on top of /usr/local/perl without
messing up other deb software that may use perl

Other unrelated questions:

1) where is the file that controls the default path, i.e if I don't have a
.bashrc or counterparts, what file is read to give me a path
2) Does deb have a menu based admin tool, similar to linuxconf
3) I had to modify my .Xdefaults file for my backspace/delete keys to work
correctly.  Is there a system wide file I can edit instead of the .Xdefaults
in every home directory
4) I'm used to being able to edit my command line with vi commands, I tried
doing "export EDITOR=vi" but that didn't work
5) When I'm in vi and I'm in insert mode, then hit the arrow keys I get "A"
"B"... how can I make the arrow keys get me back into escape mode and move
me

Thanks everyone
Jay