January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] Attendance!

I thought the talk was pretty impressive myself!  I imagine it flew over a
few people's heads (mine included) because he talked a lot about the Mac OS
X APIs.  I was able to grasp most of it though.

I'm pretty lucky because I've got an iMac at work running OS X 10.1 so I've
been able to play around with it a bit.  I really like it, but man is it a
resource hog!  The iMac is no tour de force, it's a G3/500 with 256 megs of
RAM.  Still, with that configuration, the thing really slows down when
there are a lot of apps running, especially classic apps.  Running "top" in
a terminal window tells me it's using over 2 gigs of swap with almost all
256 megs of ram gobbled up.  Ouch.

One thing that's great is that it comes with apache, php, perl, and
mod_dav!  PHP and mod_dav need to be turned on in the config file, but
still, that was a nice touch!  Sendmail's installed too, though it doesn't
have the m4 macros on it (Yikes!  No thanks, I don't do
sendmail.cf).  Apparently Mac OS X server comes with samba and mysql as well.

I'm downloading the Dev-tools now, I'll have to see how well linux console
apps compile on Darwin.

I like it, but it seems to me they need to focus on tuning its
performance.  That's an awful lot of resources its gobbling up.

At 01:04 PM 10/3/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, 03 October 2001, Christine Scobee wrote:
>
> > then, after the meeting, I overheard Jeff Newmiller and my six-year-old
> > having an intense conversation about the logistical hurdles of building a
> > time machine.  Now *that's* what I call integrated learning:  watches a
> > Nova rerun on time travel, listens to a previous LUGOD talk on embedded
> > systems, puts it all together, and waits patiently for the after-meeting
> > social time to start discussion with the potential engineering team ;)
> >
> > Linux... helps dreamers dream big!
> > -- Christine
>
>So, will the time machine be Open Source and does it have a Sourceforge
>page yet?   :)
>
>In any case, how was the talk from Apple.  I really wanted to go last
>night, but had other commitments pop up at the last minute.  Grrr....
>
>-sp

Sam Peterson
Hart Interdisciplinary Programs
2201 Hart Hall