Re: [vox-tech] debian package ideas

matt, now this is a true gem of wisdom.  thanks for sharing this with the
group.

somewhere a debian mirror site maintainer scratches his head and wonders why
300 requests have just come in to install pentium-builder.  all from northern
california.  how odd...    ;)

pete

begin: Matt Roper <mattrope@mattrope.com> quote
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 07:18:06AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin: Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu> quote
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > here's a question that i've been thinking about for a couple of
> > > weeks but haven't looked into yet:
> > >
> > > I know that all the x86 debian packages are compiled for the
> > > lowest common denominator. However, I'd like to take advantage of
> > > anything gcc can do to optimize for my fancy pentium+ chip.
> > >
> > > is there a simple way to tell apt-get to build packages from
> > > source, then install?
> >
> > of course.  this is debian.  you can do anything.
> >
> > apt-get -b source mypackage      (-b == --custom)
> >

> Also note that you should install the 'pentium-builder' package before
> you start building packages from source.  From the description of
> pentium-builder:
>
>     Replaces gcc, cc, and g++ with scripts that build pentium optimized code.
>     (Other processors can be optimized for as well.)
>     .
>     By default, after installing this package, the compilers will behave
>     normally. However, if the environment variable DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=pentium
>     is set, they will enter pentium optimized compile mode.

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002