Re: [vox-tech] debian package ideas

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 07:18:06AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu> quote
> > Hey all,
> >
> > here's a question that i've been thinking about for a couple of
> > weeks but haven't looked into yet:
> >
> > I know that all the x86 debian packages are compiled for the
> > lowest common denominator. However, I'd like to take advantage of
> > anything gcc can do to optimize for my fancy pentium+ chip.
> >
> > is there a simple way to tell apt-get to build packages from
> > source, then install?
>
> of course.  this is debian.  you can do anything.
>
> apt-get -b source mypackage      (-b == --custom)

Also note that you should install the 'pentium-builder' package before
you start building packages from source.  From the description of
pentium-builder:

    Replaces gcc, cc, and g++ with scripts that build pentium optimized code.
    (Other processors can be optimized for as well.)
    .
    By default, after installing this package, the compilers will behave
    normally. However, if the environment variable DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=pentium
    is set, they will enter pentium optimized compile mode.

Matt

--

* Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com> *