Re: [vox-tech] Primary vs. Extended Partitions

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Ryan wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 October 2001 06:47 am, you wrote:
> > If you need to create a new partition on a Windows 2000 machine to add
> > Linux in order to dual boot, does it make any difference whether you
> > make a new primary partition or a new extended partition?  What are the
> > relative advantages and disadvantages between using an extended vs. a
> > primary partition for Linux?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Windows 9x/ME gets a bit pissed off if you use more then one primary
> partition on a hard drive, but can live with it if you use BootMagic, but
> won't boot with LILO.

I have had no problem putting linux in primary partitions as long as the
Windows partition comes first, and LILO worked fine.  Used to be a little
problem with 1024 cylinders limit, but lba32 and modern BIOSes took care
of that.

> I donno about win2k, it won't install on my box.

I haven't tried, but a linux partition resembles an uninitialized
partition to a foreign operating system.  I don't think even the fascist
MacOS would automatically format extra partitions, so it should work.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing