January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] debian package ideas

Hey all,

here's a question that i've been thinking about for a couple of weeks but
haven't looked into yet:

I know that all the x86 debian packages are compiled for the lowest common
denominator. However, I'd like to take advantage of anything gcc can do to
optimize for my fancy pentium+ chip.

is there a simple way to tell apt-get to build packages from source, then
install?

could I easily recompile all (or nearly all) my existing packages in a similar
manner?

if not, (or even if yes), should i bother? I would be willing to write a
script to do this for me, but maybe this is something that someone else has
already looked into?

thanks for any input,

-Gabe