Re: [vox-tech] Hardware recommendations

I guess it's too late, but anyhow, {adaptec, buslogic, tekram}
are all good enough for my use. Adaptec is a bit too pricy IMHO.
But when I tried hot swap on adaptec (which is not officially supported),
it worked fine. This was aha-2940uw iirc.  tekram cd-395uw is a budget
buy. I don't remember if I tried hot swap on this ctrl card... (but it's
not supported officially anyways).  adaptec 15xx is horrible; definitely
not for fast devices.

For HDD, IBM is da best IMHO, both ide and scsi.
I have few bad experiences with WD (on my friends mechines).
Maxtor... ok. Not noisy. Not very fast. but stable at least.
Fujitsu is the most quiet drive. But IBM is quiet and fast.
Fujitsu is quiet, but not sure the performance wise. Maybe it's not
noticiable... i mean the performance. (who can tell 9ms vs 9.5ms?)
Quantum, both scsi and ide, are a bit noisy compare to IBM.
I only tried SCSI for seagate. I don't recommend them. The reason is
they're noisy and hot although the catalog spec is pretty good regarding
the price. Tom's hw's recent review said it's very quiet, so maybe things
have changed, but ... maybe seagate sent *selected* hdd to toms. Who knows.
Also we had a pc w/ seagate hdd in the lab. We shut it down permanently
just because it's too noisy. (yes, the scsi hdd, seagate barracuda).
I never used Sumsang because my Korean friend told me not to use it.

BTW, for 2.5" notebook hdd, I had bad experiences with Toshiba and IBM.
They both dead... well, toshiba one was bootable at least, but ibm hdd
dead completely. I don't have other manufacturer's, so I cannot tell...

Still btw, I guess this kind of hw issues rise quite often.
Newbies don't know which one to pick (usually absolutely cheapest one, haha).
Experienced still may not have updated knowledge. And hw compatibility howto
is too long imho. Why don't we make a dedicated section of "recommended
hardware" on the lugod website? (and update weekly or monthly). We should
take ppl's opinion strictly (not ads or toms).  + hardware blacklist (i.e.
manufacturers who silently replace the chip by cheapy one or no support of
linux or bsd driver support).

--
Takashi Ishihara                 http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ishihara
;; The first precept was never to accept a thing as true until I knew it