Re: [vox-tech] mutt question

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 02:03:34PM -0700, William Kendrick wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 09:52:47AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > hi all (and henry ;) )
> >

> > when i use the / key from the message index, it searches for a string within
> > the subject field of an email.
> >
> > very often, i want to search for emails by a person's name.
> >
> > how do i perform searches on the from field of an email?
[snip: Bill's answer]

Bill beat me to it; but perhaps you would appreciate the related pattern and
tagging functionality, which allows you to do something similar but it not
limited to searches.

1. `T<pattern><return>' tags (flags) messages based on a pattern. Alternately, tag messages
   individually using `t'. Patterns are listed in /usr/doc/mutt/html.
2. Type `;', which is a prefix to most any command indicating that its scope
   is the set of tagged messages.
3. Your command as usual.

> There's also a nifty tool which I haven't played with much myself,
> called "grepmail"

It is packaged for Debian, btw. Has its uses.

--
Henry House